Technical training is a great place to be: instructors get paid well for teaching domain knowledge to large companies (who have dedicated budgets). But how do you get your foot in the door? In this episode, Reuven Lerner — a famous trainer, author, and consultant — gives us a detailed introduction into the industry. You'll learn what the training process looks like, what kind of knowledge you need, and how to land your first training gig.
- Training From the Back of the Room! — a book by Sharon L. Bowman
- Telling Ain't Training — a book by Harold D. Stolovitch and Erica J. Keeps
- How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School — a famous textbook on cognitive science
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy — a course on crafting jokes
- Reuven's website
- Reuven's blog
- Trainer Weekly, Better Developer, Mandarin Weekly, Weekly Python Exercise — Reuven's newsletters
- Follow Reuven on Twitter: @reuvenmlerner
This episode is brought to you by FreshBooks — cloud accounting software for freelancers and small business owners. If you work for yourself, you know that the world was not built for the self-employed. Many institutions are simply not keeping up with the pace of change — like banks, retirement savings, employment insurance, and accounting services. FreshBooks is among the innovators who have stepped up to provide a new accounting solution in this rapidly changing world.
FreshBooks is offering a 30-day unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to freshbooks.com/uibreakfast and enter UI BREAKFAST in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
Interested in sponsoring an episode? Learn more here.
Leave a Review
Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here's how.